1. Policy Statement
Vision Training (North East) aims to provide fair and equal access to assessment opportunity for all learners on qualification-based programmes whilst preserving the integrity of the qualification. We will provide on-going support to learners, including those with particular learning and assessment needs and take account of all current legislation with regards to equality of opportunity.
Vision Training (North East) Limited’s assessment practice will be open and consistent with the codes of practice and regulations laid down by our awarding and validation bodies.
The purpose of this policy (in conjunction with the Quality Assurance Policy, Progress Review Policy and other centre working policies) is to ensure that:
- Assessment methodology and decisions are impartial, valid, reliable and does not disadvantage or advantage any group of learners or individuals.
- Assessment procedure is open, fair and free from bias and to national standards.
- Vision Training (North East) Limited complies with Awarding Body regulations on assessment and quality assurance
- Assessors and appropriate employees receive clear and effective advice on managing the assessment process
- Learners receive accurate, formative feedback about their progress and attainment
- Learners are effectively developed and supported to achieve and progress whilst maintaining the integrity of the qualifications
- There are accurate and detailed recording of assessment decisions.
- Learners are provided with assignments that are fit for purpose, to enable them to produce appropriate evidence for assessment.
- Learner’s evidence is assessed using only the published assessment and grading criteria.
The policy applies to all Vision Training (North East) Limited employees who are involved in the learning, development and assessment of qualifications within the service offer.
4. Roles and Responsibilities
Vision Training (North East) is responsible for ensuring that all employees involved in the assessment of learner’s evidence are suitably qualified (or working towards a suitable qualification) and receive appropriate clear and effective advice, training, supervision and support regarding the assessment of learners, this policy and their responsibilities.
Manager’s Responsibility The Managing Director is responsible for ensuring that a copy of this document is available to all employees and that the policy and procedures are reviewed annually.
The Operations Director and Team Leaders are responsible for ensuring the adherence of this policy by all employees
The Development Manager is responsible for ensuring the policy is available to learners and employers on the web site.
Internal Quality Assurance Team
The internal quality assurance team are responsible for ensuring the standardisation of assessment practices and decisions and ensuring the quality of assessment decisions as per the Quality Assurance Policy and associated procedures and guides.
Individual’s Responsibility Individual employees are required to act in accordance with the policy, to enable appropriate support and assessment of the learner(s).
Assessors and quality assurance teams will follow the five principles of quality assessment and this policy. Failure to do so may be considered as an act of misconduct and may result in disciplinary action.
5. Policy Implementation – Procedures
Principles of Assessment
Vision Training (North East) Limited employees who are involved in the assessment of learners’ evidence must follow the five principles below:
All assessment activity must have in place processes to ensure that the achievement is the learner’s own work.
Learners/ candidates must sign the declaration of authenticity (in the portfolio) to this effect.
Our awarding bodies have their own rules and regulations about authenticity and assessors must make themselves familiar with them, abide by them, and each academic year check for changes and review knowledge.
The method of assessment and the evidence provided must be appropriate and capable of demonstrating the achievement of learning outcomes, criteria and/or competencies of the learner’s qualification, at the appropriate level.
Vision Training (North East) Limited supplies workbooks and assignment briefs and other assessment and learning & development resources to help facilitate this process, these must be used and any individualised assignment briefs must be signed off by the Lead IV.
Reliability and Consistency
The assessment results are standardised across levels and provision.
Moderation and standardisation must follow Vision Training (North East) Limited’s quality assurance policies and procedures and our awarding bodies guidelines and procedures.
Fit for Purpose
Assessment must be fit for the learners and their individual needs. The assessment strategy must be clearly appropriate for the target group of learners and in the correct context in which they are learning. The criteria and methods which are being used to judge the work must be clear to the learner, assessors and internal and external quality assurers/verifiers and meet or exceed the requirements of the awarding bodies. Vision Training (North East) Limited facilitates this through its Schemes of Work, Lesson Plans, workbooks and assignment briefs.
Assessment should be based on learners’ needs. It must allow them to demonstrate their achievements regardless of individual circumstances and meet the requirement of equality legislation. Evidence gathering must be agreed in discussion with learners and with regard to their initial assessments, individual learning plans and progress review documents.
Assessors must also ensure that:
- Learner achievement is not limited nor ‘capped’ if work is submitted late, instead should work with the learner to agree targets for completion of assignments which are SMART.
- Opportunity for malpractice is limited, through learner education and thorough assessment methodology.
- Accurate and detailed records of assessment decisions are maintained. This includes visible marking and provision of formative feedback on all evidence assessed. Mapping of evidence into unit grid sheets and updating of the learners individual learning plan and unit sign up sheet.
- Learners are kept appraised of their progress through use of the Candidate Assessment Record (CAR), discussion of generic qualification targets and regular performance reviews. (see also Progress Review Policy and Centre Guidance on completion of CAR and review documentation).
- Learners are effectively developed and supported to achieve and progress using Vision Training (North East) Limited’s resources, self-guided research and development, whilst maintaining the integrity of the qualifications.
- Learners are provided with assignment briefs and workbooks that are fit for purpose to enable them to produce appropriate evidence for assessment.
- Learner’s evidence is assessed using only the published assessment and grading criteria by using the grid sheets provided in each learner’s individual portfolio.
In conjunction with and regard to the Quality Assurance Policy the quality assurance team will:
- Maintain a robust and rigorous internal quality assurance procedure.
- Provide samples for external verification, as required by the awarding body.
- Monitor external verifier reports and undertake any remedial action required.
- Share good assessment practice between all programme teams.
- Ensure that BTEC assessment methodology and the role of the assessor are understood by all employees involved in the assessment process
- Mentor assessors to continually develop their assessment practices.